Thursday 14 August 2008

Along The London Road and Home

After lunch I decide to have a quick walk along the river bank before starting the journey home. The weekend has gone really quickly and I wish I'd had a bit more time re-visiting some of the other places I remember when I lived in Chesham and Caversham. Nevertheless I've had a really enjoyable time of total self-indulgence over the last few days and I'm so glad I made the effort to do the trip. Apart from a few spots of rain on Friday in Hay-on-Wye the weather's been much better than expected which is a real bonus.

Last leg of the journey along the A4

So...back on the bike for the straight ride home. I decide against bombing down the M4 as I find motorway riding at speed on a bike pretty tedious and hard work bracing against the wind. Instead I join the A4 just outside Sonning and basically follow it all the way to my front door on The London Road (A4) in Bath.

I stop off briefly about half way in Marlborough for a break and a swift pint at The Green Dragon where they are playing Led Zeppelin II and I watch a group of ducks walk by on the pavement (!?).

The Green Dragon - Marlborough

I pass Silbury Hill near Avebury and the Cherhill White Horse before passing through Calne and Chippenham and finally arriving in Bath early evening.

The Chervill White Horse & Monument

It's strange to think that the road right outside my front door leads directly back to where I used to live in the 60's and 70's. I somehow feel more in touch with myself and my past than I did before I set off the previous Friday. It's also great to get out on the bike and cover a few miles. I can't wait until the next time.

No comments: